Sign the statement: stand up for free movement, equality & solidarity against the Tories’ new immigration bill
Posted: 11 March 2020
Join MPs, trade unionists, campaigners and grassroots members from across our movement by signing this statement. Together we’ll resist the Tories’ new immigration policy and stand up for the alternative: solidarity, equality and free movement for all.
As trade unionists, Labour members and supporters we call on our movement, our Labour Party and our unions to fight the Tory government’s new immigration policy with all our strength.
The Immigration Bill’s “Henry VIII” powers will mean a blank cheque for the Home Secretary to make up immigration policy with minimal accountability. These proposals published so far will slam the door in the faces of untold numbers of working-class people. Those who they allow in, they will leave precarious and at the mercy of exploitative employers. They will mean more dehumanising, racist and violent attacks like the deportations we recently protested. They will fuel the suspicion and resentment that divide our communities and our workplaces.
In our campaign against the Bill, our movement must be crystal clear: ending free movement, restricting immigration and attacking migrants’ rights will do nothing to fix the problems facing working-class people.
Instead our campaign must stand unapologetically for the vision of free movement, equality and solidarity set out in the policy that was overwhelmingly endorsed by Labour members and trade unions at last year’s Labour conference:
- To defend and extend the free movement of people.
- To reject any immigration system based on incomes, migrants’ utility to employers, or number caps or targets.
- To close every detention centre.
- To end all Hostile Environment measures and restrictions on migrants’ NHS access.
- To ensure the right to family reunion is unconditional.
- To abolish “no recourse to public funds”, guaranteeing the social security safety net to everyone.
- To extend equal voting rights to all UK residents.
These are the principles on which Labour and our unions must base our opposition to this rotten, xenophobic policy.
- Nadia Whittome MP
- Kate Osamor MP
- Apsana Begum MP
- Ronnie Draper, General Secretary, Bakers Food & Allied Workers Union
- Ian Hodson, President, Bakers Food & Allied Workers Union
- John Moloney, Assistant General Scretary, Public & Commercial Services Union (personal capacity)
- Julie Ward, former MEP
- Rosie Newbigging, Labour Parliamentary Candidate 2019
- Momentum Stevenage
- Ruth Cashman, Convenor, Labour for a Socialist Europe & Joint Secretary, Lambeth Unison
- Simon Hannah, writer & Joint Secretary, Lambeth Unison
- Ben Towse, Labour Campaign for Free Movement (LCFM) co-founder, Camden Unison
- Ana Oppenheim, LCFM co-founder & Another Europe Is Possible
- Cllr Josh Lovell (Old Stevenage), LCFM Steering Committee
- Cllr Shaista Aziz (Rose Hill and Iffley Oxford)
- Conor Sewell, LCFM Steering Committee
- Alena Ivanova, LCFM Steering Committee & Another Europe Is Possible
- George Gray, Woking CLP, UCU, Unite Community
- Anthony Hacking, Youth Officer, Blackburn CLP
- Chris Jefferies, Bristol West CLP
- Janine Booth, Trade Union Officer, Hackney South and Shoreditch CLP, RMT (personal capacity)
- Andrew Reeves, Edinburgh CLP, PCS
- Peter Allan, North Devon CLP
- Emma Jones, Co-Chair, Abingdon Labour branch, Oxford West & Abingdon CLP, Unison
- Sean Conway, Nottingham East CLP, Unite Community
- Aubrey Evans, Unite Community
- TJG Cadby, West Wiltshire CLP, retired member ASLE&F
- Keith Best, NW Leeds CLP, ex-NALGO
- Gianamar Giovannetti-Singh, Cambridge CLP, UCU
- Sarah Jones, European Movement Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes CLP
- Daniel Nichols, Romford CLP, UNISON
- Jon Sayers, UCU
- Sam Green, Warley CLP
- Martin Lovatt, Unite Steward, Wolves SE CLP
- Lydia Ludlow, East Devon CLP
- Steven Chapman, Sheffield Heeley CLP, Unite
- Jennifer Spicer, Lewes CLP
- Joseph O’Toole, Rugby CLP
- Mark Jones, Farnborough & Cove Branch Exec Member, Aldershot CLP, Unite
- Anna Lilley, East Hampshire CLP
- Alex Stuart, Poplar & Limehouse CLP
- Martin Dewey-Findell, UCU
- Annie Wenn, Harborough CLP
- Nigel Munisamy, Tottenham CLP
- Floyd Codlin, Birkbeck Anti-Racist and Anti-Facist Officer (personal capacity), PCS
- Hannah Lane, Bermondsey and Old Southwark CLP, Unite Community
- Brenda Tait
- Natalie Sedacca, Islington South & Finsbury CLP, UCU
- John Ellison, Prospect
- Nicole Obidowski, LCFM Steering Committee, Lewisham Deptford CLP
- Marcus Thorne, LCFM Steering Committee, Lewisham Deptford CLP
- Francis Rogers, Co-coordinator, People and Planet Edinburgh